Answered By: Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
Last Updated: Jun 23, 2021     Views: 3176

Tulane alumni may request an Alumni library card, which enables alumni to borrow books from the library. There is no fee for an Alumni library card. The alumni library card entitles you to most services and privileges except interlibrary loan, document delivery, mediated online searching, Microsoft Office and other licensed software, and off-campus access to research databases. To become an official Tulane alumnus, please contact the Tulane Alumni Office at 504-865-5901, or via email at The Tulane Alumni Office will provide you with an official alumni card which you will need to present at the library.

Request an alumni card at


Database Access:

Unfortunately, the license agreements we have with our database providers only allows access to current Tulane faculty, students, and staff. After graduation, depending on when the Registrar's office changes your status to inactive, your off-campus access to library databases ends. Sometimes there is a significant lag between graduation and this systems update, during which you may have had extended access.

Our license agreements do permit access to any visitors to the library, Tulane or non-Tulane, so if you are still in New Orleans you can use any electronic resources from inside the building.

If you are no longer near campus, there are some other options if you still need to use scholarly databases for research. First, consult your local public library. Many public library systems offer access to select databases, many of which will be the same as the ones provided at Howard-Tilton. Of course public libraries will not have the full suite of research materials we provide at a university research library, but they may have some of the basics. The state of Louisiana offers several on their Louisiana Library Connection.

Second, some databases are open access, and do not require a subscription. These are generally limited to those provided by government agencies, such as ERIC (U.S. Department of Education database) and American FactFinder (Census Bureau), but may also have the information you need.

Other Services:

For more information about about other services available to alumni, see